The third stream in WGST is called Gender and Sexuality. It examines the social and cultural ideological formations of the categories of gender and sexuality. Drawing upon feminist, post-structural and queer theories, the intentions of the courses in this stream are to make apparent systems of meaning and power in a variety of geo-political and historical contexts. The stream's rationale is:
1. to think about conceptualizations of gender and sexuality and their interrelation with the categories of race and class;
2. to introduce students to further feminist theories in regard to gender and sexuality;
3. to introduce students to queer and post-structural theory;
4. to develop feminist theorizing in relation to myth, symbol and ritual; and
5. to further cross-cultural analysis. The courses in this stream consist of WGST 372 (Gender: Theories and Practices), WGST 380AM (Gender, Race and Sexuality in Popular Culture) and WGST 880AA (Mapping Sexuality: From Sappho to Madonna).